Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mun Family Picnic/Photonics

Last weekend I met my host family for lunch. I figured this would last 1, maybe 2 hours. Was I wrong!

After picking up their son, we drove about 45 minutes southeast of Gwangju to 화순. The park we went to was very nice and we had great weather (finally, a not cloudy/rainy day!!). For lunch we had 샌드위치,(sandwich triangles), 김밥 (kimbap rolls), 김치 (kimchi), and 오렌지 (oranges). My host mom is a great cook, and everything was so fresh.

We took around a small lake afterwards, and had fun skipping stones. I, of course, was horrible. I'll blame that on the fact that we were trying to skip from a ledge down at an angle!



The kids had a lot of fun:


I figued after lunch, I'd go back home, but my host family already had tickets for the 2010 World Photonics Expo in Gwangju. I'd had some friends go in weeks previous, and they really enjoyed. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't think it would be as cool as it was.

First, the expo grounds are huge! There were 9 tents set up in an area the size your state fair grounds. The tents aren't permantent, and neither are the displays. Everything was wonderfully set up and at times I forgot I was in a tent and not in a childrens museum.

Second, the exhibits were pretty cool. There was some strange stuff that I couldn't figure out why it was there, like two air force planes and a piece of a real space ship. We had lots of fun playing around with the interactive exhibits.



Lastly, it was very crowded! Because it was Saturday, everyone came with their children. We had to stand in line for a while to get into the spaceship tent. I know the event is very long so I'm curious to know how many people total will have gone by the time it is over.


More pictures here:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=59501140#!/album.php?aid=2231601&id=59501140

No comments:

Post a Comment