Sunday, March 7, 2010

Balut

Tonight I've only got one word: balut.


Well, alright, maybe a few more.


In the Philippines a few months back, I decided to be brave and fully embrace the culture. That meant eating balut. For those of you who don't know, balut is egg. Not just any egg though. This is special stuff.

A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.

Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines.

Here's some of the best of 40 pictures Kenny took of me trying my best not to throw up. The pictures are not flattering at all (I had just gotten out of the pool and I'm a bit sunburned) but I personally think the pictures are HILARIOUS.

First, this is what it looked like with a part of the shell off:



Here I am trying to get up the courage to eat it:



I needed a swig of liquid courage:



I make scary faces sometimes:



Taking a big bite:



Trying to keep it down:



Swallow:



Just seeing the pictures that Kenny posted to Facebook bring back the memories. That was something I'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment